GIMP is incredibly versatile and can be used for both retouching existing images and creating new ones from scratch. The application comes equipped with a comprehensive set of tools, including brushes, pencils, clone pads, and airbrushes. The features of GIMP are similar to those of most image editors, such as a layer system, alpha channels, operation history, selection and transformation tools, masks, gradients, etc.
GIMP can be used to convert images between different formats, batch process files, create vector images, or edit motion graphics. The software's functionality can also be extended with plugins. With more than a hundred available, users can enhance their editing experience and achieve specific effects.
GIMP is compatible with almost all current image formats, such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, MNG, PCX, PNG, PSD, PS, PDF, TIFF, TGA, SVG, or XPM. The program's interface is highly customizable, with its floating window system allowing users to modify the layout to fit their preferences or revert to a classic system to replicate other popular image editors.
GIMP is an impressive piece of software that has proven itself time and again against other commercial image editing software. It is a free tool that offers numerous features comparable to paid editors. The software is user-friendly, and there is a wealth of resources available online to help users get started. GIMP is a must-have tool for anyone looking to get into image editing without breaking the bank. Download GIMP for PC and start creating stunning images today.
Reviewed by Joe C. Jones
Yes, GIMP is totally free. The program is free for both personal and commercial use, so there are no restrictions when you use it.
Once installed, GIMP takes up about 800 MB on the hard drive. This is relatively little when compared to other programs with similar features.
GIMP requires 800 MB of hard drive space and at least 512 MB of RAM. You'll also need to use Windows 7 or higher, MacOS 10.12 or higher, or Linux.
On GIMP's official website, you'll find a section dedicated exclusively to tutorials. Here, there are more than 20 tutorials for all levels, from beginners to experts.
How to download and Install GIMP on Windows PC
- Click on the Download button to start downloading GIMP for Windows.
- Open the .exe installation file in the Downloads folder and double click it.
- Follow the instructions in the pop-up window to install GIMP on Windows PC.
- Now you can open and run GIMP on Windows PC.
Alternatives to GIMP
- ibis PaintAn award-winning drawing app with versatile functions.10.0
- CanvaFree photo editor, logo maker, and video editor, all in one Canva graphic design app!10.0
- Microsoft PhotosView your photos on Windows8.8
- Paint 3DCreate 3D designs with all kinds of features9.6
- CorelDRAWOne of the best graphic design tools8.4
- HEIF Image ExtensionsOpen HEIF and HEIC encoded files and images on Windows.10.0
- Creality Print (Slicer)A Simple and Powerful Slicing Software for 3D Printing.9.4
- SketchUp ProEasy, fast 3D modeling tool7.6